Monday, September 28, 2015

SCWAMP clip

http://youtu.be/B86ixiypBeE

Hey so this is my clip. It's from the opening scene of "The Great Gatsby" film. I could only find the 1974 version so sorry if you wanted Tobey Maguire. Anyway, there's a part at 3:30 that I think perfectly describes SCWAMP.

The reason why I feel like it describes SCWAMP is because of the line Nick Carraway says at the very beginning of the scene. He says,

"In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since. 'Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,' he told me, 'just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had.'

This quote adequately describes the ideals of SCWAMP because Nick Carraway is a straight, able-bodied, white male owning property in West Egg, New York. He was given the opportunity to go to college at New Haven with Tom Buchanan, who also embodies the characteristics of a man who could rule the world.

I think that the book in general gives a gist of what SCWAMP is about. It is about greedy men, whether it be Gatsby or Tom Buchanan, always looking for ways to increase their fortune and their grasp on Daisy especially. Daisy even says that '...the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool'. Daisy already knows from experience that women will not get to do what they aspire to in the world because of the limitations caused by their gender. This shows that SCWAMP was as relevant in the 20's as it is now, and I believe that the book and the quote fit the mold perfectly.

1 comment:

  1. Emily, cool example, except I need you to explain how this fits into the SCWAMP model.

    ReplyDelete